Halsey, Frederick Edward John, 540, Police Constable, Sergeant.

1950 - 1976

By John Halsey

My father, Frederick Edward John Halsey, joined The Herts Constabulary in 1950.  He did his training at Eynsham Hall, Witney , Oxfordshire.

He was stationed at Berkhamsted until he joined the Photographic Department at Hatfield Police Headquarters.  He was promoted to Sergeant and did most of his service in this capacity.  He worked on the Great Train Robbery even taking photograph of Linslade Farm from the flying clubs Tiger Moth. He also took photographs of Harry Roberts’ hideout amongst the many cases he was involved in over the years.

Some time in the 1970’s he was transferred to the Training Department before finishing his service at Stevenage Police Station in about 1976.

Attached is a photograph of him in uniform in 1950. The picture was him fingerprinting a van in 1959 (which in fact was the photographic department vehicle.) Finally a picture of him outside Headquarters Training Department in the 1970’s.




This page was added on 04/09/2014.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Mike and Neil’s comments are spot on – he added a humanitarian touch on a early winters morning !

    By Robin Hare (27/01/2018)
  • In the 1960’s I worked at the hq at Hatfield as a civilian typist. One of my duties was to type the Daily Crime Information. I was next door to the fingerprint dept, Sergeant Halsey, another officer and a civilian fingerprint person. We were housed in a old building across the yard from the main headquarters. I remember they were keen photographers doing time lapse photography of a flower unfolding – as well as pranksters. I have a memory of paper spiders in typewriters and thread encased desks.

    By Jean Tullett Read (02/01/2017)
  • Yup, Fred was great. Gentle stretching as I remember. Great boke !

    By Mike Rust (04/03/2016)
  • I remember Fred – lovely bloke.  I was  Police Cadet from 1973 /75 and spent one year in residence at Stanborough in Broadwater block.  We had regular training staff – very harsh and very strict. Didnt see Fred that often but when he was on duty, we knew we were in for a slightly easier time. We;d have to be out on the parade square at 7.15am in all weathers in immaculate kit for morning P.T.. In the winter we’d be inspected by torchlight then 45 mins PT which could be exercises on theparade square or a run to the crooked chimney and back on the worse mornings.  Anyway, when Fred was on duty – it would be a quick inspection,  ten minutes exercise then finish.  We thought a lot of him for it.

    By Neil Hamilton (11/10/2014)
  • Sgt Halsey’s involvement in the Herts Police Flying Club is documented in a photo story on this web site at http://www.hertspastpolicing.org.uk/page/sgt_frederick_halsey_and_the_herts_police_flying_club?path=0p3p136p

    By Hilary K (05/09/2014)