Notable Events In Week Eight

Ian Curley

Hertfordshire Police Historical Society

This Week In History


On the 18th February 1973, a cinema manager was held up and robbed of £60 by two men, one of whom fired a pistol at the manager’s assistant who came to his aid. A few days later, 2 men armed with pistols attacked a Watford man at his home. The householder was shot in the leg after which he and his family were tied up and the telephone wires were ripped out. The intruders then made off after stealing £600. Both of these offences were linked ballistically, and as a result of widespread police enquiries, two men subsequently appeared before St Albans Crown Court, where one was sent to prison for 10 years, and the other for 5 years. In June 1974, in the presence of the Chairman of the County Council and members of the Police Committee at North Watford Police Station, the Chief Constable presented a Certificate of Commendation to a member of the public of Watford for the courage he displayed when he went to the aid of the cinema manager, during the course of which, he was in grave danger from shots fired from a .22 pistol.


Superintendent Abel Camp, is appointed Deputy Chief Constable with effect from 19/2/1937, subject to the approval of the Standing Joint Committee, which will be applied for on 2nd April 1937. (General Order 22, 1937)


Times 20/2/1976 – Award for Two Police Officers

The Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct has been awarded to Police Sgt Alan Hale, aged 29, stationed at Hitchin, Herts and Police Constable Graham Jelley, of Watford. They arrested two men in a stolen car, in November, 1974, after a violent struggle in which Sgt Hale, then a Constable, had ammonia thrown in his eyes.


Times 24/2/1978 – Fire terror attempt by anti-Asians.

Two men believed to be members of the National Front, formed an anti-Asian squad, a court heard yesterday. Bricks were thrown through windows and attempts were made to start a fire on a doorstep. The squad’s activities came to an end late one night when they told a policeman “don’t go into Park Street tonight, we might. We are going to hit it again it is for the good of the country that is scaring off the Asians.” One member of the squad was jailed for nine months for attempted arson after being found guilty at St Albans Crown Court. He was Simon Mac Andrew, 21 of The Limes, Hitchin. Stephen Wheatley, 23, a machine operator was cleared of the attempted arson. He was given a nine-month gaol sentence suspended for two years and fined £50, after admitting damaging the window of another house. Detective Constable John Lett, said “The squad took it upon themselves to harass Asians by throwing bricks through their windows.”

This page was added on 20/02/2020.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!