Notable Events In Week Thirtytwo

Ian Curley

Peter Sharpe QPM

Hertfordshire Police Historical Society

This Week In History

Tuesday 11 August 1908

Sheffield Daily Telegraph
Adverse Balance of £7,000.
Inspector George Reed, of the Hertfordshire Constabulary, gave evidence of the arrest of the defendant Cheltenham. In regard to the second charge, evidence was given that defendant acted as treasurer of the North Mimms Club, although was not elected. Dr. Barnes was the medical officer, and Mr. A. E. Marden acted as collector and he handed over the money to the defendant, who gave him a receipt in the following terms: “Received and paid to Dr. Barnes.” £52 3s. 6d. was the amount which was paid over by Mr. Marden the defendant. Dr. Barnes, recalled, said that he did not receive the money from the defendant. On a general account with the defendant, the balance against him was over £7,000. Prisoner, when formally charged, pleaded guilty, and was committed for trial at the Hertfordshire Assizes. Mr Travers Humphreys said that if it was decided proceed with the other charges, the defendant would be brought before the magistrates on the Home Secretary’s order.

Saturday 05 August 1893

Bedfordshire Mercury
Lewis Tamer, a tramp, was brought up remand charged with stealing one spirit level, one saw, one racket brace and other tools, to the value of 30 shillings, the property of William Preston, carpenter, of Stotfold, Henlow on July 21.
It appeared that the tools were left by prosecutor in the new lodge, on which he had been working, and from which they were taken. PC Pickering deposed to seeing the defendant near the lodge. PC Horton, of the Hertfordshire Constabulary, spoke to seeing the prisoner with the tools. On the following day, from information received, he went in search of defendant, whom he arrested near Buntingford. Prisoner was sent jail for two months with hard labour, and went down, saying “It is not much hard labour that I’ll do.”

Saturday 06 August 1870

Watford Observer
Henry Slaughter, 23, was charged with being drunk and riotous at the parish of Bushey, on the 1st August, and with assaulting Police Constable Brazier in the execution of his duty. Police Constable Brazier, 210, stated that at half-past 11 on Monday night he heard a disturbance in Bourne Hall Road, and on proceeding there, found the prisoner drunk and quarrelling with a man at the Stag. He requested prisoner to go away, when he abused him, put his fist in his face, and struck him on the chest. Witness then took him into custody, when he kicked his leg. The prisoner was with great difficulty taken to the station. The Bench, to mark their sense of the assault upon the police, and to show that they must be protected, committed the prisoner to hard labour for 14 days. They also fined him 5 shillings for being drunk; in default, seven days imprisonment.

8th August 8, 1980

Stabbed by fork
A policeman was stabbed with a fork when he tried to prevent a man from seeing his ex-wife. The man of Garston, had ignored a court order banning him from visiting his ex-wife. When police arrived to remove him, he climbed onto a garage roof and hurled bricks and pieces of asbestos at them. Police Constable Neville Shelley followed him onto the roof using a ladder. But the defendant grabbed hold of it and used the fork like a javelin and stabbed the officer. He later pleaded guilty to wounding PC Shelley and was jailed for two years.
(Watford Observer)

9 August 1999

General Order No. 32/1999

I informed the Police Authority at the end of last week that I intend to retire next February. This was not an easy decision to take, but having done so I believe it will be to the long-term benefit of the force.
The timing is in order to give a new Chief Constable the opportunity to take over at the beginning of a new dawn for the Hertfordshire Constabulary. As we assume responsibility for policing the whole of Hertfordshire, leadership will be critical to the success of the organisation. This decision enables the Police Authority to appoint my successor for a contract of between four and seven years – thereby offering the stability of leadership which I believe vital in ensuring the success of the new Hertfordshire Constabulary.
For me at 55 and with 37 years’ service, I will not be looking for further employment either inside or outside the service. It will be ‘retirement with my feet up’! But that is still many months away and we have much to keep us busy in the meantime.
I will approach these last few months with the same commitment, enthusiasm and leadership that I have attempted to provide over the past five years as your Chief Constable, and feel very proud of all that we have achieved in that time.
Peter Sharpe
Chief Constable

December 5, 2000

Watford Observer.
The former chief constable of Hertfordshire Peter Sharpe has died aged 56.
He died on Friday at his home in Oxfordshire, just over a year after it was diagnosed, he had a brain tumour.
Peter retired from the post of chief constable in February this year, which he had held for nearly six years, and after 37 years police service.
He took over as chief constable of Hertfordshire, from Baden Skitt, in April 1994.
In the same year he was named in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List and was presented with the Queen’s Police Medal.
His posts also included the vice-chairman of the Association of Chief Police Officers’ general policing committee.
Hertfordshire Chief Constable Paul Acres called him a “wonderful man with a lovely sense of humour”, adding: “Peter had many friends within the constabulary who are deeply saddened at the news of his death.
“Our thoughts at this time are with his wife Julia, son Robert and family and close friends.”

9 August 1999

General Order No. 32/1999

In General Order 31/99 it was announced that the Force, in conjunction with Bedfordshire Police and Beds & Herts Ambulance & Paramedic Service, were seeking government funding via a bid to the Invest to Save Budget (ISB) for a feasibility study into joint call handling arrangements.
The initial application for ISB has been unsuccessful. However, the three organisations are still pursuing the concept and the advantages and disadvantages of joint working in this area will be researched in a project which is likely to take a year.
How this work will progress has yet to be decided, particularly in the light of the ISB decision.

This page was added on 03/08/2020.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!