Mansfield, Arthur

Police Constable 133, Sergeant

Paul Watts

Arthur Mansfield Form 3 Service Record
Herts Police Historical Society

Early Life.

Arthur Mansfield was born on the 3rd March 1893 at Hoddesdon.

His father, William Mansfield a brewer’s drayman, married his mother, Ellen Campkin on the 23rd June 1877 at Great Amwell. They had eleven children one of whom sadly died before the 1911 census:
1. James born in 1877 at Hoddesdon.
2. Sarah born in 1879 and died in 1882 at Hoddesdon.
3. William born in 1881 at Hoddesdon.
4. Jane born in 1883 at Hoddesdon.
5. George born in 1884 at Hoddesdon.
6. Charlotte born in 1885 at Hoddesdon.
7. John Robert born in 1887 at Hoddesdon.
8. Elizabeth born in 1889 at Hoddesdon.
9. Charles born in 1891 at Hoddesdon.
10. Arthur.
11. Edith Sarah born in 1895 at Ware

During the 1881 census the family were living at Burford Street, Hoddesdon. In the 1891 census they had moved and were living at Amwell Street, Hoddesdon. By the time of the 1901 census they had moved again and were living at Salisbury Villas, 5, Whitley Road, Hoddesdon and by the 1911 census they had moved down the street to 60, Whitley Road, Rye Park, Hoddesdon. Arthur was employed as a labourer.

Little is known about Arthur’s life during the next two years except that he worked as a grocer’s carman for a Mr. Shadbolt of Rye Park, Hoddesdon and then he applied to join the Hertford County Constabulary

Police Service.

Arthur’s Police Service Record has survived and shows the following:

His Hertfordshire Constabulary Form 86 indicates that he was the 111th applicant of 1913 and it outlines his Conditions of Service etc. and has a declaration written by himself which shows – Age: 20. Height: 5 feet 11 ¼ inches. Weight: 12 stone 6 lbs. Chest: 36 inches. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Complexion: Fair. Where born: Hoddesdon, Hertford. Married or single: Single. Children: None. Benefit Society: Hoddesdon Provident. With whom last employed: Mr. Shadbolt P.O. Rye Park. Duration of service: 5 ½ years. When discharged: Still in his employ. Address of employer: Post Office Rye Park Hoddesdon.
I hereby declare that the above are in my own handwriting, and were inserted by me on the 10 day of June 1913 and that they are true and full replies to the several questions above specified, and I hereby agree to serve the Standing Joint Committee of the Quarter Sessions and the County Council as a Member of the County of Hertfordshire Constabulary under the conditions before mentioned, and subject also to all Statutory conditions now made, or hereafter to be made, in that behalf. Signed: A, Mansfield 60 Whitley Road Rye Park Hoddesdon.

Included were details of his Referees:
Signature                            Address                                         From                 To
(Rev) Leslie Banner           Rye Park, Herts                            08/1905            06/1913
Charles A. Christie            Belmay, Hoddesdon                   Some years
Henry Clayden                  37, Ware Road, Hoddesdon       Several years
Edward A. Ayres               81, Old Highway, Hoddesdon    10 years
Frederick W. Shadbolt     P.O. Rye Park, Hoddesdon         10 years
I certify that the signaures of the above named persons are known to me, and that their recommendations are deserving of confidence. Signed: John W. Moles Insp. Hoddesdon Police Station.

Arthur was examined by the Police Surgeon Lovell Drage on the 17th July 1913 who signed the following Certificate: I hereby certify that I have examined A. Mansfield as to his health and bodily strength and consider him fit for the Constabulary of this County.

The Chief Constable Major Alfred Law approved his appointment on the 11th July 1913.

His Hertford County Constabulary Form 3 Record Sheet has also survived and shows: Arthur Mansfield was Appointed as Constable 133 on the 5th August 1913 although by the order of the Standing Joint Committee on the 17th October 1913 his service was not to count towards his pension until he reached the age of 21 years of age.

Age on joining: 20 5/12 years. Place and date of birth: Hoddesdon 3rd March 1893. Height: 5 feet 11 ¼ inches. Chest: 36 inches. Complexion: Fair. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Light brown. Marks: Scar right shin. He said he could both ride a pedal cycle and swim. He gave his religion as Church of England and his next of kin as his mother Ellen Mansfield, 60, Whitley Road, Rye Park.

He started his Probationer training at R Division at Headquarters at Hatfield earning £1/4/6 per week. He was in the 6th Training Class of Recruits with Sergeant 57 Cousins and Constable 20 Wright as his instructors. On the 1st December 1913 he was Attested when he was Approved of and Sworn in before C.W. Gaussen J.P. and Frederick MacMillan J.P. at Hatfield.


On the same day having completed his training he was taken onto the Roster and transferred from R Division at Headquarters to C Division at Watford.

On reaching the age of 21 on the 3rd March 1914 Arthur’s Pensionable service commenced.

In January 1914 he passed his Ambulance certificate, an important qualification which entitled him to wear a badge on his lower left tunic sleeve to show he was trained in basic First Aid.

On the 5th August 1914 he received an increase in his rate of pay from £1/4/6 to £1/5/8 per week.

Allowed To Enlist But Didn’t!

General Order 98 of the 9th June 1915 was entitled The Police Constable (Naval and Military Service) Act 1914 Police (Emergency Provisions) Act 1915 and listed eighteen Constables, including Arthur, who were desirous in enlisting in H.M. Army for the period of the War, the Deputy Chief Constable gave the necessary consent, as required by the above Acts for them to do so. For an unknown reason Arthur did not enlist at this time and remained in the Police.

General Order 133 of the 18th August 1915 informed Arthur that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £1/5/8 to £1/6/10 per week from the 5th August 1915.

Promotion To First Class Constable.

General Order 84 of the 20th July 1916 announced the result of the Examination for promotion from Second Class to First Class Constable. Arthur who sat the exam in the office of his Superintendent on the 4th May 1916 was one of eight successful candidates.

General Order 105 of the 9th September 1916 informed Arthur that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £1/6/10 to £1/7/5 per week from the 5th August 1916.

A Minor Blemish.

General Order 110 of the 28th September 1916 reported that Arthur had been fined 5/- for being absent from the No. 1 Fixed Point at Watford at 8.43 p.m. on 20th September 1916.

General Order 5 of the 22nd January 1917 was entitled Police Constables (Naval and Military Service) Act 1914 Police (Emergency Provisions) Act 1915 Enlistment in H.M. Forces: Consequent upon the demand for men of military age for service in H.M. Army the Standing Joint Committee have reconsidered the strength at which it is necessary to maintain the force and have authorised that a further 20 members shall be released for Army Service. Five of these have been accepted provisionally by the Army Council for service in the Military Mounted Police. Further instructions with regard to these men will be issued as soon as received.
In accordance with the resolution of the Standing Committee dated 5th January 1917 the Deputy Chief Constable hereby gives the necessary consent as required by the above Acts to a further fifteen Constables for the purpose of enlisting in H.M. Army. Arthur was included in this group. The Constables enumerated will be released from the Police Service as from Thursday 1st February 1917 inclusive and will be paid up to and including the 31st January 1917.

General Order 8 of the 25th January 1917 referred to Order 5/1917 and announced that the same fifteen Constables who were being released for military service were being granted leave of absence on 30th and 31st January 1917.

Army Service During The War.

Arthur’s Army Service Record has survived and from this and his Medal Index Card and Medal Roll we know the following:

He enlisted on the 10th December 1915 at Watford and on the 11th December 1915, he was transferred to Section B Army Reserve and returned to his Police duties. This was part of what was known as the Derby Scheme. Thousands of men around the country including dozens of Hertfordshire Police Officers enlisted under the scheme. The Hertfordshire Officers mainly enlisted between the 9th and the 11th December 1915. Every Section B Reservist was issued with an individually numbered Khaki Armlet with a red Crown displayed on it which was to be worn on the upper left arm to demonstrate they were a Reservist and were waiting to be mobilised.

The following was recorded: He gave his address as the Police Station, Watford, Herts. his age as 23 years 9 months, his trade as Police Constable, that he was not married and had never previously served in the Military.

His description on enlistment was recorded as: Apparent age: 23 years 9 months. Height: 6 feet 1 ½ inch. Chest: 39 inches 3 inch expansion. He said his religion was Church of England and his next of kin was his father, William Mansfield of 60, Whitley Road, Rye Park, Hoddesdon, Herts.

His Medical History Army Form B178 recorded that he was examined at Watford on the 10th December 1915 and it noted the same information as his description on enlisting with the addition of his weight which was 166 lbs and that he had an operation scar left buttock.

His record has some hand written notes, dated 1st February 1917, listing four names: Harry Wallman, Joseph Wallen, Arthur Mansfield and William Hussey stating that they are four Police officers having enlisted at Watford and would they be accepted together into the Royal Horse Artillery at Woolwich. They were accepted and have consecutive service numbers.

Arthur was mobilised at Watford on the 2nd February 1917 and the following day posted as Gunner 205954 to the Royal Horse Artillery Depot at Woolwich. Of the fifteen men who were mobilised at the same time as Arthur one joined the Grenadier Guards and two others joined the Military Foot Police. The remaining twelve became artillery men. They were 205951 Harry Wallman, 205952 William Hussey, 205953 Joseph Wallen, 205956 Wilfred Darton, 205981 Stephen Burch, 205982 Thomas Kempthorne, 205983 William Cripps, 205985 Alban Freeman, 205986 Herbert Trussell, 205987 Albert Emery and 205988 Henry Camp. Other than during their initial training there is nothing to say that they went on to serve together.

On the 16th February 1917 he was posted to R Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.


Arthur married Florence Maude Brown on the 3rd March 1917 at the Parish Church St. Michaels and All Angels. Watford. He was married at the same time and place as PC Joseph Wallen. Arthur and Florence had two daughters:
1. Maisie Dorothy born in 1919
2. Audrey Jean – born 26/06/1925

In March 1917 during their training there was an outbreak of Rubella at the Woolwich Depot. Of the twelve men who were mobilised the Army Service Records of ten of them have survived. Of these records two, belonging to Darton and Kempthorne, show they were hospitalised for two weeks with the disease. Additionally, Alban Freeman died of fever on the 7th March which was almost certainly due to the same cause.

On the 30th May 1917 Arthur was posted as part of the British Expeditionary Force to France. On the 19th June 1917, his wife notified that she was now living at 52, Marmont Road, Peckham, SE15.

On the 8th July 1917 he was posted to the Divisional Armoured Column and then on the 8th August 1917 he was posted to U Battery, Royal Horse Artillery 10th Brigade. On the 22nd September 1917 he was rated to 1st Class Proficiency Pay.

On the 5th March 1918 he was admitted to Casualty Clearing Station 34 at Daours with inflammation of connective tissue in his hands. He returned to duty on the 11th March 1918.


On the 22nd March 1918 he was wounded but remained at Duty but then on the 27th March 1918 he was admitted to No. 24 General Hospital at Etaples and then sent to England aboard the Ville de Liege.

The War Office Daily List No. 5552 dated 29th April 1918 reported that Gunner 205954 A. Mansfield, Royal Horse Artillery had been wounded. He was entitled to wear a “Wound Stripe” as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award having been met by his being named in this list.

On the 29th May 1918 he was admitted to the 1/5th Northern General Hospital, Victoria Head, Leicester suffering from Shell Contusion. He remained there until discharged on the 6th August 1918.

On the 13th August 1918 he was posted to the Royal Horse Artillery Depot at Ripon and then on the 19th September he was posted to the 10th Reserve Brigade, Royal Horse Artillery, Woolwich

On the 13th January 1919 he was sent to Crystal Palace for dispersal and then on the 12th February 1919 he was transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on demobilisation at Woolwich.

His Statement as to Disability Army Form Z22 records: Unit: R Battery. Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery Regt. No.: 205954. Rank: Gunner. Name: Arthur Mansfield. Address: 52, Marmont Road, Peckham, SE15. Age last birthday: 25. Date first joined: 2nd February 1917 at Woolwich. Medical category: A. I do not claim to be suffering from a disability due to my military service Signed: Arthur Mansfield. Examined: 6th January 1919 at Woolwich.

His Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identity Army Form Z11 records: Name: Arthur Mansfield. Regt. No.: 205954. Rank: Gunner. Record office: Woolwich. Unit: R Battery. Regt.: Royal Horse Artillery. Pay office: Blackheath. Address: 52, Marmont Road, Peckham, SE15. Theatre of war: France. Year born: 1893. Medical category: A. Place for re-joining in case of emergency: Unreadable. 28 day furlough granted. Issued: 15th January 1919 at Crystal Palace.

He was awarded the British War and Victory medals.

Like every other soldier Arthur was granted 28 days leave on his demobilisation and he would have used this time to apply to re-join the Police. He would have had to have undergone a Medical Examination by the Force Surgeon to ensure that he was still fit enough for Police duties. Having passed this, he would have been re-Appointed on the day following the date of the end of his leave period. Arthur was Medically Examined on the 22nd January 1919.

General Order 20 of 19th January 1919 was entitled Allowances to wives of Police Soldiers. It announced that the Chief Constable had considered the position of each individual Police Soldier under the new scale of pay and found after taking into consideration the total income of the family from allowances, including the value of the soldier’s food and clothing, that in 16 cases the families were in a worse financial position then they would have been had the man remained in the force. These cases were put before the Standing Joint Committee and they authorised extra payments, with effect from 1st July 1918. PC 133 Mansfield A. C Division was awarded £0/0/5 extra per week with £0/11/10 to be paid retrospectively with the allowances for the week ending 22nd January 1919.

Re-joining The Police.

General Order 23 of 25th January 1919 listed 25 Police Officers who, having been released from H.M. Army, had been re-appointed to the Force. Harry was shown as: PC 133 Mansfield A. C Division at Watford from the 30th January 1919 on £2/8/0 per week. Each officer had to be formerly re-attested. The Superintendents concerned had to report to Headquarters the date and place of Attestation and before whom taken. The Electoral Rolls of 1919 to 1921 list Arthur Mansfield as living at 7, Smith Street, Watford.

An entry was made on Arthur’s Police Service Record stating: Period of Army Service from 1st February 1917 to 29th January 1919 to count as Police Service for pension purposes vide Standing Joint Committee Resolution 35 dated the 9th October 1914. He also received an increase in pay from £2/8/0 to £4/0/0 from the 1st April 1919 as part of a national award.

General Order 182 of the 20th August 1919 informed Arthur that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £4/0/0 to £4/2/0 per week from the 5th August 1919 and his Service Record shows that he got a further increase from £4/2/0 to £4/4/0 per week from the 5th August 1920.

Hertfordshire Police Sports Day 1921.

Courtesy of 150 Years Policing in Watford District and Hertfordshire County.
A Brilliant Effort.
St. Albans was the scene of a striking effort on the part of the Police of the County yesterday, when a fine programme of sports was given to the large crowd of spectators at Clarence Park. The first gala day of the kind arranged by the Police in Hertfordshire, this had the advantage of ideal weather conditions, a specially gratifying fact in view of the consideration that practically all tickets were sold before the day of the sports. It has not yet been officially decided whether these sports are to be an annual event, but they were attended with such a measure of success yesterday and were generally so well appreciated by the spectators, who assembled in considerable numbers, that it is quite likely the function will be repeated in future years. The events were extremely varied in nature with Police only races, handicap races, open races, obstacle events, fun races and events for children.

In the One Mile Walking Handicap first place went to PC F. Webb (Bedmond) 70 yard start and second place went to PC A. Mansfield (Watford) 20 yard start.

General Order 157 of the 13th September 1921 informed Arthur that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £4/4/0 to £4/6/0 per week from the 5th August 1921.


General Order 51 of the 16th April 1922 instructed Arthur that from the 27th April 1922 he was being transferred from C Division at Watford to E Division at Letchworth and to occupy the house being vacated by PS 10 Elkins. The Electoral Rolls of 1922 to 1924 list Arthur and Florence Mansfield as living at 27, Pix Road, Letchworth.

General Order 109 of the 18th August 1922 and General Order 177 of the 22nd October 1923 informed Arthur that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £4/6/0 to £4/8/0 per week from the 5th August 1922 and from £4/8/0 to £4/10/0 per week from the 5th August 1923, respectively.

General Order 132 of the 14th August 1924 announced that Arthur was one of eleven successful candidates who sat the Examination for Promotion from Police Constable to Sergeant on the 2nd February 1924.


General Order 191 of the 20th November 1924 instructed Arthur that from the 1st December 1924 he was being transferred from E Division at Letchworth to B Division at Hatfield. General Order 192 of amended the date to be Saturday 29th November 1924. The 1925 Electoral Roll records Arthur and Florence Mansfield as living at the Constabulary Cottages, Hatfield.

Promotion To Sergeant A Pay Rise And Another Transfer.

General Order 4 of the 10th January 1926 informed Arthur that from the 11th January 1926 he was to be promoted to be Acting Sergeant. He would also receive an increase of pay from £4/10/0 to £5/0/0 per week.

General Order 6 of 14th January 1926 instructed Arthur that from the 25th January 1926 he would be transferred from B Division at Hatfield to C Division at Watford and to occupy the cottage being vacated by Constable 307 Markwell. The Electoral Rolls of 1926 to 1929 records Arthur Mansfield as living at 15, St. Marys Road, Watford.

Arthur attended a week long Sergeant Refresher Class starting at 9 a.m. on Monday 15th February 1926 at Headquarters, Hatfield.

The General Strike.

General Order 62 of the 4th May 1926 concerned the Emergency Regulations of 1926 and instructions for 50 Hertfordshire Police Officers, made up of three Inspectors, seven Sergeants and 40 Constables, to be on standby should the Secretary of State call upon the County Force to draft men elsewhere at short notice. These included officers from A,B,C, D and E Divisions. Orders for equipment and clothing would be issued if and when necessary, but the men were advised that they would require some sort of haversack. Arthur was one of the Sergeants named in the list but there is no evidence that he was ever mobilised.

Commendation – Grievous Bodily Harm And Attempted Robbery.

Published on the 14th July 1926 in The Scotsman under the headline Wanted Money. Alleged Robber in Garage: “When I shouted for help the pressure on my throat increased, and I lay still, as I felt the breath leaving my body,” was the statement made at Watford Police Court yesterday by Ernest Morton Mandeville, cashier at the National Omnibus and Transport Company Garage, Watford, when giving evidence against Thomas William Harris (34), labourer, of Newhaven, Sheepcot Lane, Garston who was charged with wounding Mandeville. Accused was further charged with robbery with violence. Mandeville stated that on the night of June 24 he was passing through the garage when he felt something thrown over his head. He was knocked to the ground and when he tried to rise his assailant gripped him by the throat. In a signed statement made by accused he said he had been out of work, and as he had a wife and three children and a home bought on a system which required money to keep up payments, he was in need of money. “I wanted money,” the statement said, “and I was desperate.” Accused was committed for trial.

General Order 112 of the 18th August 1926 announced that Arthur had been commended at Watford Petty Sessions on the 13th July 1926 by the Chairman, Henry Brown Esq. He commended Police Sergeant 133 Mansfield C Division for the efficient and intelligent manner in which the Police Sergeant effected the arrest of Thomas William Harris on charges of causing grievous bodily harm and attempted robbery with violence. The Chief Constable endorsed the commendation and directed that an appropriate entry be made on his record of service.

The record has not survived but on the 11th January 1927 Arthur was promoted to be a substantive Sergeant. General Order 11 of the 18th January 1927 informed him that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £5/0/0 to £5/2/6 per week from the 11th.

Arthur received further pay increases from £5/2/6 to £5/5/0 per week on the 11th November 1928 and from £5/5/0 to £5/7/6 per week from the 11th November 1929.

Arthur’s Police Service Record does not show any further transfers but the 1930 Electoral Roll Arthur and Florence Mansfield as living at 33, Stanstead Road, Hoddesdon. It is unknown whether this was a temporary or a permanent move.

Arthur received further pay increases from £5/7/6 to £5/10/0 per week on the 11th November 1929 and from £5/10/0 to £5/12/6 per week from the 11th November 1930.

General Order 59 of 1932 announced that Arthur had passed the qualification exam on the 9th March 1932 for promotion to Inspector, there is no record that he was promoted.

Courtesy of 150 Years Policing in Watford District and Hertfordshire County, General Order 91 of 1935 was an obituary for Constable William Pomfrey, 132 “C” Division who died on 12th July 1935. It contained many details of his career and details of his funeral which included the fact that Police Sergeant Bishop and Police Sergeant Mansfield with four other constables acted as pall bearers.

Retirement And Life After The Police.

Arthur retired as a Sergeant on the 2nd March 1939 on completion of his 25 years’ service on a pension of £181/17/0 per annum.

In the 1939 Register Arthur who is shown as an Air Ministry Temporary Clerk), Arthur (Air Ministry Temporary Clerk), Florence, Maisie and Audrey are listed as living at “Marstonia”, Manor Road, Tring.

Arthur Mansfield a retired Police Sergeant of Marstonia, 14, Manor Road, Tring died on the 12th August 1964 at the Tindal General Hospital, Aylesbury. His funeral was held at 10.30 a.m. on the 17th August 1964 at Tring Parish Church followed by Cremation at Garston.

This page was added on 20/05/2020.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!