Jones, Horace Burgess, 300, Police Constable.

Paul Watts

Horace Burgess Jones Re-joining The Police
Herts Police Historical Society

Early Years.

Horace Burgess Jones was born on the 23rd April 1891 at Hoxton, Middlesex. He was baptised on the 28th June 1891 at St. Mark, Old Street, Shoreditch. The family were living at 75, Buckland Street, Shoreditch at that time.

His father, Thomas Jones a Police Constable in the City of London, married his mother, Haidee Burgess, on the 14th August 1886 at Horley, Surrey. They had five children:

  1. Horace Burgess.
  2. Cyril Thomas born in 1896 at Hoxton.
  3. Gwen Haidee born in 1899 at Islington.
  4. Madge Hildred born in 1901 at Islington.
  5. Frank William born in 1904 at Islington.

During the 1901 census the family were living at 31, Elmore Street, Islington. They were still at the same address at the time of the 1911 census. Horace was a student for the Civil Service and his father was now a Police pensioner.

Little else is known about Horace’s life for the next two years until he joined the Hertford County Constabulary.

Police Service.

Horace’s Police Service Record has not survived but from other sources we know he was Appointed on the 1st December 1914 as Constable 300 on £1/4/6 per week. He would have undergone his Probationer training at Police Headquarters at Hatfield. At the completion of his training he would have been Attested and taken on to the Roster and posted to a Division. It is believed that he was posted to E Division at Hitchin.

The following General Orders all informed Horace he would receive an increase of pay on the 1st December of the year shown:                                                                                                                                                                             General Order 6 of the 8th January 1915 from £1/4/6 to £1/5/8 per week.                                                                General Order 189 of the 8th December 1915 from £1/5/8 to £1/6/10 per week.                                                     General Order 141 of the 28th December 1916 from £1/6/10 to £1/7/5 per week.

General Order 5 of the 22nd January 1917 was entitled Police Constables (Naval and Military Service) Act 1914 Police (Emergency Provisions) Act 1915 Enlistment in H.M. Forces: Consequent upon the demand for men of military age for service in H.M. Army the Standing Joint Committee have reconsidered the strength at which it is necessary to maintain the force and have authorised that a further 20 members shall be released for Army Service. Five of these have been accepted provisionally by the Army Council for service in the Military Mounted Police. Further instructions with regard to these men will be issued as soon as received.

In accordance with the resolution of the Standing Committee dated 5th January 1917 the Deputy Chief Constable hereby gives the necessary consent as required by the above Acts to a further fifteen Constables for the purpose of enlisting in H.M. Army. Horace was included in this group. The Constables enumerated will be released from the Police Service as from Thursday 1st February 1917 inclusive and will be paid up to and including the 31st January 1917.

General Order 8 of the 25th January 1917 referred to Order 5/1917 and announced that the same fifteen Constables who were being released for military service were being granted leave of absence on 30th and 31st January 1917.

Army Service During The War.

Horace’s Army Service Record has not survived but from his Medal Roll Index Card, Medal Roll and the Army Records of many of the other fifteen men we know the following:

Horace almost certainly would have enlisted on the 10th December 1915 most probably at Hitchin and on the 11th December 1915, he was transferred to Section B Army Reserve and returned to his Police duties. This was part of what was known as the Derby Scheme. Thousands of men around the country including dozens of Hertfordshire Police Officers enlisted under the scheme. The Hertfordshire Officers mainly enlisted between the 9th and the 11th December 1915. Every Section B Reservist was issued with an individually numbered Khaki Armlet with a red Crown displayed on it which was to be worn on the upper left arm to demonstrate they were a Reservist and were waiting to be mobilised.

Having been mobilised on the 1st February 1917 it is believed that Horace became Lance Corporal P/11959 H.B. Jones in the Military Foot Police.

General Order 54 of the 23rd June 1917 was entitled The Police Reservists (allowances) Act 1914. Reference order no/. 183 1915. At a meeting of the Standing Joint Committee held at Hatfield on 15th June 1917 six allowances were granted to the dependents of unmarried Constables who have enlisted in H.M. Army for the period of the war. Horace’s mother, Haidee Jones, was granted a weekly allowance of 8 shillings from the 1st February 1917

Horace landed in France as part of the British Expeditionary Force on 29th August 1917 and remained there until the 11th November 1918 although this is believed to be an administrative date as many Military Police Officers have this date on their records but often stayed in the Army far longer.

He was awarded the British War and Victory medals.


Horace married Daisy Florence Marshall in the final quarter of 1918 at Hitchin and they had three children all born in Hitchin:

  1. Vera C. born in 1920.
  2. Ralph M. born in 1922.
  3. Sheila F. born in 1923.

General Order 20 of 19th January 1919 was entitled Allowances to wives of Police Soldiers. It announced that the Chief Constable had considered the position of each individual Police Soldier under the new scale of pay and found after taking into consideration the total income of the family from allowances, including the value of the soldier’s food and clothing, that in 16 cases the families were in a worse financial position then they would have been had the man remained in the force. These cases were put before the Standing Joint Committee and they authorised extra payments, with effect from 1st July 1918. PC 300 Jones H.B. E Division was awarded £0/0/5 extra per week with £0/3/8 to be paid retrospectively with the allowances for the week ending 22nd January 1919.

Like every other soldier Horace would have been granted 28 days leave on his demobilisation and he would have used this time to apply to re-join the Police. He would have had to have undergone a Medical Examination by the Force Surgeon to ensure that he was still fit enough for Police duties. Having passed this, he would have been re-Appointed on the day following the date of the end of his leave period.

Re-joining The Police.

General Order 191 of the 22nd September 1919 announced the re-appointment to the Force on the 25th September of two Police soldiers who had been released from H.M. Army they were:                                                                          PC 249 Burns A.R. E Division Hitchin on £4/10/0 per week.                                                                                                     PC 300 Jones H.B. C Division Watford on £4//0/0 per week.                                                                                               Both officers had to be formerly re-attested and the Superintendents concerned had to report to the Chief Constable when this had been done, providing the date and place of Attestation and before whom taken. Both men had served in the Military Police and had served much longer after the Armistice than most of the Hertfordshire Police Soldiers.

General Order 248 of the 18th December 1919 informed Horace that he would receive an increase of pay from £4/0/0 to £4/2/0 per week from the 1st December 1919.

Transfer Cancelled.

General Order 120 of the 16th July 1920 instructed Horace that from the 22nd July 1920 he was being transferred from C Division at Watford to F Division at Hertford and to occupy the cottage at 16, Townsend Street, Hertford, however, it had then been crossed through with a hand written note saying delete. The 1921 Electoral Roll confirms that he did not move as it records Horace Burgess and Daisy Florence Jones as living at 56, Cardiff Road, Watford.

General Order 3 of the 5th January 1921 informed Horace that he would receive an increased rate of pay from £4/2/0 to £4/4/0 per week from the 1st December 1920.


General Order 25 of the 18th February 1921 instructed Horace that from the 28th February 1921 he was being transferred from C Division at Watford to E Division at Willian and to occupy the cottage being vacated by ex-Police Constable Theed. The Electoral Rolls of 1922 to 1926 list Horace Burgess and Daisy Florence Jones as living at Mount Cottage, Willian.

The following General Orders all informed Horace he would receive an increase of pay on the 1st December of the year shown:                                                                                                                                                                             General Order 196 of the 9th December 1921 from £4/4/0 to £4/6/0 per week.                                                        General Order 167 of the 13th December 1922 from £4/6/0 to £4/8/0 per week.                                                                General Order 14 of the 16th January 1924 from £4/8/0 to £4/10/0 per week.


General Order 22 of the 3rd February 1927 instructed Horace that he was being transferred from E Division at Willian to C Division at Watford and to occupy the new Police Cottage at Whippendell Road, Watford. The Electoral Rolls of 1927 to 1930 list Horace Burgess and Daisy Florence Jones as living at 274, Whippendell Road, Watford.

A Minor Blemish.

On the 10th December 1934, the Chief Constable admonished Horace for being two hours late for duty at 10 a.m. on the 6th December 1934 at Watford.

Retirement And Life After The Police.

Horace retired as a Constable on pension on the 30th November 1938 having completed his 25 years’ service.

In the 1939 Register records Horace, a retired Police Constable, his wife Daisy and family as living at 7, Hillmay Drive, Hemel Hempstead.

Horace Burgess Jones died on the 10th October 1969 in Hemel Hempstead.

This page was added on 28/05/2020.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!