Hertfordshire Police Historical Society
This Week In History
On October 1, 1964, the Home Secretary announced that for a two-year experimental period small bodies of very experienced detective ofﬁcers who would concentrate on the apprehension of travelling criminals were to operate all over England and Wales. Although at that time there were more than 120 separate police forces in England and Wales, they were conveniently divided into groups which formed nine regions, and therefore for operational purposes it was decided that these regions were come the need areas into which to ﬁt the specialised squads of detectives, which were to be known as “Regional Crime Squads”. Hertfordshire, at that time was within the number ﬁve police district, and in common with the other forces within the district was called upon to supply ofﬁcers, accommodation and equipment. Hertfordshire supplied accommodation for the headquarters of the regional coordinator of number ﬁve district and his staff at Welwyn Garden City and space for ofﬁces at St Albans and Rickmansworth. Mr G. E. MacArthur, M. B. E, was Chief Superintendent of the Hertfordshire police criminal investigation department and he was appointed as the ﬁrst regional coordinator from number ﬁve district. Altogether 10 ofﬁcers were supplied by the county as its contribution.
The Force formed a Tactical Patrol Group (TPG) to enable a reserve of ofﬁcers to deal with public order or other responsibilities where required. The group consists of 1 Inspector, 1 Sergeant and 10 Constables. In the ﬁrst year they were responsible for 104 arrests.
Report of the Police Committee to Herts County Council, stating that a proposal has been made by the borough of St. Albans to consolidate their police with that of the county. The committee are of opinion that this proposition should be entertained and that the police committee be authorized to negotiate and conclude an agreement with the borough of St. Albans, and to settle the terms upon which consolidation shall be effected. 90 years later in 1947 St. Albans City Police finally amalgamated with Hertfordshire Constabulary.
On 4 October 1983, a public meeting was held at Moor Park, for the purpose of organising the first neighbourhood watch scheme in Hertfordshire. The meeting was attended by approximately 350 people who were addressed by their member of Parliament, Mr. Richard Page, two members of the local residents Association and a Force Crime Prevention Officer. There was unanimous support for the venture which was put into immediate effect and at the end of the year, 600 different households were actively participating in it.
At the great Berkhamsted Petty Sessions on 1 October 1924, the Chairman Spencer Holland, Esq. Complimented superintendent W. Stacey on the meritorious way in which he acted in the case of Frederick Jackson, James Dale, and Frederick Grover, arrested for stealing bicycles at Apsley on 23 September 1924. The reports in the case show the Superintendent acted with extreme promptitude and the Chief Constable directs that an appropriate entry be made in the Superintendence record of service.
(General order 157 of 1924)
General order 158 of 1924, saw Superintendent Stacey’s salary increased from £430-£445 per annum.